(Morrisville, NY – Jan. 2012) A $20,000 grant from the Central New York Community Foundation was awarded to Madison Hall in Morrisville to support continued renovations on the historic facility. The grant will be used to rebuild the back staircase, handrail, electrical, lighting and ceiling finish.
Madison Hall, a Madison County Landmark since 1817 and the original county courthouse, stands on upper Main Street, State Route 20 in Morrisville. Madison Hall is under continuous renovation. In recent years the front portico pillar foundations were rebuilt, twin matching stairways were refinished and floors in the ballroom and hallways returned to hardwood. This past summer a new roof was built over the handicap ramp, the building repainted, chandelier and hallway lighting installed.
The building became The New York State School of Agriculture (now Morrisville State College) in 1909 when the courthouse moved to Wampsville. In the late 1970’s a group of concerned citizens acquired the building from Morrisville State College and started restoration of the facility. After various grants and community donations, the building has become a multi-cultural, multi-functional building serving communities in Central New York for weddings, dances, concerts, and etc.
Pictures of the building and a calendar of events can be seen at madisonhall.org.