(Madison County, NY – Jan. 2015) Avoid the high fees of a commercial tax preparer. If you are a Madison County resident who earned less than $53,000 this tax year, you may qualify to have your tax preparation done free of charge. Trained community volunteers can help you with special credits, such as Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, and Credit for the Elderly for which you may qualify. Easy electronic filing puts your refund in your hands in two weeks.
Many people will qualify for the first time this year due to economic changes in their income or changes in their marital or parental statuses according to the IRS. The agency estimates four out of five eligible workers currently claim their EITC. In 2014, hundreds of families/individuals took advantage of this program, and had their income taxes prepared by IRS-certified volunteers. More than $1.7 million in tax returns were refunded to the local communities, with nearly two-thirds coming from the EITC.
To help preparers, either volunteer or paid, accurately determine EITC eligibility and prepare returns, individuals should bring:
- Photo proof of identification
- Social Security cards for themselves, their spouse and all dependents or Social Security
- number verification letters issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for all persons listed on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Forms W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Copies of their prior year federal and state returns, if available
- Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit of their refunds
- Other relevant information about income and expenses
- Amounts paid for day care, if applicable, and the day care provider’s identifying number.
- Form 1099-G, if applicable
- Form 1095-A (Health Insurance Marketplace Statement), if applicable
Both spouses must be present to sign joint returns.
Daytime, evening and weekend appointments are available Mondays through Saturdays from February through the beginning of April at locations throughout Madison County. Before calling for an appointment, please be sure you have all of your tax documents and information available for review.
In Madison County, appointments will be available at Community Action Partnership for Madison County in Morrisville, Department of Social Services in Wampsville, Caz Cares in Cazenovia, and Gorman Community Center in Oneida. To arrange an appointment, please call Community Action Partnership for Madison County at (315) 280-0889.
If you are a senior citizen 60+, you are eligible for free tax return preparation regardless of income. For an appointment in Madison County, please call Madison County Tax Counseling for the Elderly Program at 684-3001, ext. 103.