(Utica, NY – March 2013) On March 12 UNHS NeighborWorks HomeOwnership Center helped launch a new national movement called Home Matters, which aims to build public support for the essential role that Home plays as the bedrock for thriving lives, families, and a stronger nation. Home Matters is spearheaded by National NeighborWorks Association – of which we are a member – along with a coast-to-coast coalition of housing and community development organizations, other nonprofits, companies, and the public at large.
The launch took place in Washington, DC, with Shaun Donovan, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, and a bipartisan group of Members of Congress participating, along with nearly 200 NNA members. The Members of Congress reflected a broad political spectrum, underscoring that Home Matters no matter what your political beliefs.
As it expands, Home Matters will go beyond housing and illuminate the connections between stable housing and other important facets of American life such as:
- Individual Success: Home recharges adults and children alike for the day ahead.
- Education: Children in stable homes learn and achieve more in school.
- Health: Healthy habits take root more easily in stable affordable homes.
- Public Safety: Stable homes make communities safer.
- A Strong Economy: Homes that are affordable are crucial to a vibrant job-generating economy.
Visit the Home Matters website (www.HomeMattersAmerica.com), share your insights, tell your colleagues and friends about the movement, and connect to it through Facebook and Twitter. It’s time for the crucial roles that Home plays to be more broadly understood.